Follow ImgResidency on Twitter
Subscribe to the Match TODO newsletter. Reminders for important dates and events throughout the match process.
Site Sponsors:
www.ResidencyPlace.com - Customized Program Requirements
www.IMGResidency.com - IMG Match and Scramble Services

fellowship vs residency

Immigration issues, H1B and J1 visa sponsorship issues

fellowship vs residency

Postby juliaka » Wed Aug 10, 2011 5:28 am

Need an advice.
What is better way to get green card through residency or fellowship?
I just finished pediatric residency in Israel. I have ECFMG certificate, passed with good marks Step1, 2 CS and CK, and Step3.

is it better for me to apply for ped residency on H1 B visa or try to get fellowship on J1 visa to try to recieve green card
juliaka

Re: fellowship vs residency

Postby anatolyk » Wed Aug 10, 2011 4:42 pm

You don't get a green card on J1. You have to get back to home country for two years before you can get back to the US, unless you get a visa waiver.
anatolyk

Postby juliaka » Wed Aug 17, 2011 4:59 am

Dear Anatolyk,
Thank you for answering me.
It looks like you know everything.

Actually my goal is to get a Green card.
As I previously mentioned I passed all three steps, have ECFMG certificate, and finished pediatric residency in Israel.
I need an advice:
May be it's better and easier in my case to get residency in pediatrics on H1B visa and apply for green card, than to look for fellowship ( most of them are on J1 visas).
Although it may look strange that after residency in my country I am looking for residency in USA?
Oe may be programs are used to it?
Is it ok to say to them on interview the I need H1b to apply for green card ,
Or is ti better to say that I want to do residency one more time to better my professional level.....?

will really appreciate if somebody answer me.
Julia
juliaka

Postby anatolyk » Wed Aug 17, 2011 11:14 am

I can only provide anecdotal support for this information, but I doubt you will be able to get a green card while doing your residency. There is just not enough time to complete all the processing. If you do residency on H1B, you don't have to return to home country and can obtain another H1B after graduation, and then a green card through your employer.

It makes perfect sense to do a residency in the US even though you have completed one in your country. All state medical licensing boards require at least two years of ACGME-accredited residency training.

If you get residency on J1, don't sweat it out. As long as this is a primary care specialty, you will be OK. After graduation, you should be able to obtain J1 waiver. I know many people who got it based on commitment to work for 2 years in medically underserved area. Nowadays, everything outside of outer city loop even is underserved, even for for big cities. With the waiver, you should be able to start your green card processing based on employment.
anatolyk

Postby senthil » Thu Sep 22, 2011 10:17 am

Hello anatolyk,

On the J1 waiver program, should one has to work for 2 yrs or 3 yrs in an underserver medical area? Kindly clarify. Please tell me the chances of getting a H1B visa as most of the programs offer J1(since its the easist that comes from ECFMG). How can i convince the program to offer me a H1B visa & how should i approach it? I also know all three step are required for a H1b sponsership, are there any other requirements that will help me secure a H1b visa?

Please do reply,

I greatly appreicate your time

Senthil.
senthil

Postby anatolyk » Fri Sep 23, 2011 9:14 am

I am not an attorney, but from the layman's perspective, this shouldn't matter. Your "waiver" job will be handling green card for you. As soon as you get a green card, you are free to go anywhere. Besides, it will take 3+ years anyway.
anatolyk

Postby senthil » Fri Sep 23, 2011 10:34 am

Thanks anatolyk.
1. May i know who will sponser Green card during the waiver job(2-3 yrs)? The hopital where i am doing the waiver job?
2. How can i find a waiver jobs?
3. How complicated is it to find a wiaver job outside a major city?

kindly adivce,

Thanks a lot

Senthil
senthil

Postby anatolyk » Fri Sep 23, 2011 11:47 pm

Waiver jobs are jobs in underseved areas. Anything outsode of outer city loop is typically underserved. If you get a primary care specialty, getting a waiver job should not be a problem at all.
anatolyk

Postby drkay » Tue Oct 16, 2012 10:10 am

Hi all.I have a question regarding licensure. Most boards say ecfmg plus ACGME accredited training. Can this training be an ACGME fellowship directly without residency? Or it has to be only residency. Please let me know as soon as possible as I have to decide on accepting Accredited vs non accredited fellowship.Thank you.
drkay

Postby anatolyk » Wed Oct 24, 2012 2:29 pm

Fellowships in most cases are ACGME accredited.
anatolyk

Postby ponuherivy » Thu Oct 11, 2018 1:30 am

The board of the formal means a have been done for the humans. The candidature of the norm and bestessay reviews is vital for the costly items for the help of the purely followed items for the humans.
ponuherivy

Postby ross.usmlerrr » Fri Oct 26, 2018 1:07 am

hey guys,

i found website which has all the Video courses, Question bank, Board review courses for USMLE /Board Review prep 2018

i hope that helps you...

http://www.usmle.shop/
ross.usmlerrr

IMG Residency Match 2013 Service

Return to Immigration and Visas