Follow ImgResidency on Twitter
Subscribe to the Match TODO newsletter. Reminders for important dates and events throughout the match process.
Site Sponsors:
www.ResidencyPlace.com - Customized Program Requirements
www.IMGResidency.com - IMG Match and Scramble Services

J1 Visa status adjustment

Immigration issues, H1B and J1 visa sponsorship issues

J1 Visa status adjustment

Postby sang_usmle » Sun Oct 12, 2008 5:01 pm

Hello Visa Expert/Anatolyk

I am an IMG presently residing IN California on dependent visa (H4).
I am targeting for 2010 admission.
Since most programs do not sponsor H1 B visa. Is it:

1.Possible to apply for programs on J1 visa living in USA?

2.Suppose I join on J1 Visa in a program in 2010, and by 2013 before I complete my residency,
if my husband gets green card (it is presently in I140 stage), can I request for adjustment of my status
(i.e not returning back to my home country for 2 years)?

Pls suggest.
Thanks
sang_usmle

Re: J1 Visa status adjustment

Postby anatolyk » Mon Nov 17, 2008 12:03 pm

sang_usmle wrote:1.Possible to apply for programs on J1 visa living in USA?

I think yes, but I am definitely not a visa expert.

sang_usmle wrote:2.Suppose I join on J1 Visa in a program in 2010, and by 2013 before I complete my residency,
if my husband gets green card (it is presently in I140 stage), can I request for adjustment of my status
(i.e not returning back to my home country for 2 years)?

Unfortunately not. As soon as you get J1, you forgo your permanent residency application and you have to satisfy the "home staying" rule or get a J1 waiver.
anatolyk

Re: J1 Visa status adjustment

Postby docpinayCA » Mon Nov 24, 2008 1:57 am

you can apply for J1 visa here in the US- it will just take longer. when you find a sponsor for your J1, they can start the process here and get your J1 in the philippines which will take only 3-5 days after your interview in the Embassy.

even if you marry a green card holder or US citizen, you still have to do your J1 waiver.

it's not bad to have a J1 ( as we hear from a lot of people ), waivers are not hard to find, there are even great waivers here in california- by the beach!- doesnt really have to be "underserved"... well, if you guys will look for a waiver soon, im currently doing my J1 waiver here in california- just let me know, they are still open for hiring....
docpinayCA

IMG Residency Match 2013 Service

Return to Immigration and Visas