Follow ImgResidency on Twitter
Subscribe to the Match TODO newsletter. Reminders for important dates and events throughout the match process.
Site Sponsors:
www.ResidencyPlace.com - Customized Program Requirements
www.IMGResidency.com - IMG Match and Scramble Services

IMG IN CANADA BUT WANT TO GIVE USMLE

Program scoop. IMG friendly programs/hospitals

IMG IN CANADA BUT WANT TO GIVE USMLE

Postby sam.em » Fri Jun 28, 2013 7:46 am

HELLO,
I m a img in Canada and was preparing for MCCEE (I m a medical graduate from school outside of Canada), but then changed my mind and m planning to give USMLE.Anyone can help me out with how should I be proceeding now since I m just a permanent resident here not a citizen it will take a while for me to get my citizenship probably 2yrs yrs.So during that time m planning to prep for USMLE step1 and step2.Does U.S allow Canadian citizens residency training after you pass steps?
sam.em

Re: IMG IN CANADA BUT WANT TO GIVE USMLE

Postby Julia IMG Residency » Mon Jul 01, 2013 8:58 am

You don't need U.S. citizenship in order to pass USMLE steps, apply for U.S. residency. Feel free to prepare for USMLE exams, take them when you are ready and apply to the residency programs in the U.S.A. If you are U.S. permanent resident then you have a competitive edge comparing to other IMGs as you don't need U.S. visa.
Julia IMG Residency

Postby sam.em » Mon Jul 01, 2013 12:28 pm

THANKS for the reply Julia.. Just a short question, do I need to send my credentials through ECFMG? Is their certification required for step1 and step2?
sam.em

Postby sam.em » Tue Jul 02, 2013 2:25 pm

You don't need U.S. citizenship in order to pass USMLE steps, apply for U.S. residency. Feel free to prepare for USMLE exams, take them when you are ready and apply to the residency programs in the U.S.A. If you are U.S. permanent resident then you have a competitive edge comparing to other IMGs as you don't need U.S. visa

thanks for the reply Julia..just a short Q do I need to send my credentials through ECFMG now at the start?is their certification required for step1 and step2?
sam.em

Postby Julia IMG Residency » Mon Jul 15, 2013 11:59 am

In order to get ECFMG certification you need to be a graduate of a medical school (IMED) and pass USMLE Step 1, 2CK, 2 CS. Here are the detailed requiremenst for ECFMG certification: http://www.ecfmg.org/certification/requ ... ation.html

You don't need ECFMG in order to apply to the residency programs via ERAS (participate in the Match).
One MUST have ECFMG when the residenct trainings starts in July.
Julia IMG Residency

Postby jamescarter » Thu Apr 14, 2016 10:14 am

The USMLE Step 1 covers basic sciences -- essentially everything taught during the first two years of medical school. It's heavy on all the things you tend to forget by the time you reach residency clerkship, like anatomy, histology, biochemistry, cell biology, genetics, etc. I guess if you're smart and have an idea early on that you may end up in the US for residency or fellowship, the ideal time to write Step 1 is right after your second year of medical school -- when you actually remember a thing or two about basic science.

That being said, many Canadians don't realize until residency -- after chatting with other residents in their specialty -- that it may be advantageous to write the USMLEs, so many end up writing Step 1 in residency (preferably in first or second year as opposed to in fourth or fifth with Royal College exams looming).

But don't forget, that in order to get your residency you need to have a good personal statement. In such a case I personally recommend you to use some writing service.
jamescarter

IMG Residency Match 2013 Service

Return to Programs. IMG Friendly Hospitals