Follow ImgResidency on Twitter
Subscribe to the Match TODO newsletter. Reminders for important dates and events throughout the match process.
Site Sponsors:
www.ResidencyPlace.com - Customized Program Requirements
www.IMGResidency.com - IMG Match and Scramble Services

Practicing in the US: particular situation

Step 3 test taking strategies, test preparation materials and centers

Practicing in the US: particular situation

Postby lgonzalez » Tue Apr 23, 2013 1:21 pm

Hi. I have read many posts in your forum and I've found the information REALLY useful, so I was wondering if you could help me with my particular situation:

I passed the USMLE Steps 1 and 2 in 1995.
I did my General Surgery Residency outside the US. Afterwards, I was accepted for a one-year Fellowship training in the US in 2002-2003 under a J-1 Visa. Even though I was training as a Fellow, my official status at the hospital and the University was a PGY-4. Consequently, I received the "valid indefinitively" sticker from the ECFMG in 2002. While in the US I took the Step 3 and failed it twice (everyone kept telling me you didn't have to study for it, so I was overconfident).
I came back to my country of origin and started my practice. The problem is that things are getting really dangerous in my country and I'm desperatelyl planning on going back to the US.

My specific questions are:
1) Since I have my "valid indefintively" ECFMG sticker, I wouldn't have to take the Step 1 and 2 again, or would I?
2) Is there a limit number of times you could take the Step 3?
3) As a foreign medical graduate, how many years of residency training do I need to get a medical licence? And does the year I did in 2002-2003 count?
4) Since I'm already a surgeon, do I need to repeat the entire residency to be able to practice in the US?

I rellay appreciate your time in reviewing my case and helping me with the information I need in order to start my journey back to the US.
lgonzalez

Re: Practicing in the US: particular situation

Postby anatolyk » Fri Apr 26, 2013 10:04 am

1) Since I have my "valid indefintively" ECFMG sticker, I wouldn't have to take the Step 1 and 2 again, or would I?

You don't need to re-take the steps to validate USMLE certificate or get into residency. However, state medical boards have a limit on number of years between Steps. You will need to pass Step 3 and re-take Step 1 and 2 in order to satisfy the limit, which varies by state - is between 7 and 10 years.

2) Is there a limit number of times you could take the Step 3?

Yes, depending by state. Most states do not allow more than 3 attempts on any step.

3) As a foreign medical graduate, how many years of residency training do I need to get a medical licence? And does the year I did in 2002-2003 count?

Again, varies by state. Most states require 3 years of training for IMGs. Some require 2. I don't see why the fellowship year wouldn't count.

4) Since I'm already a surgeon, do I need to repeat the entire residency to be able to practice in the US?

Yes, in order to get board cetified in Surgery you will have to get through residency. Sometimes board may give you credit for a year or two training in your country, but this won't be for all 5 years and up to the board.
anatolyk

Re: Practicing in the US: particular situation

Postby Kermahlo » Tue Aug 23, 2016 6:02 am

You made me understand many stories up.
Kermahlo

IMG Residency Match 2013 Service

Return to USMLE Step 3