Follow ImgResidency on Twitter
Subscribe to the Match TODO newsletter. Reminders for important dates and events throughout the match process.
Site Sponsors:
www.ResidencyPlace.com - Customized Program Requirements
www.IMGResidency.com - IMG Match and Scramble Services

Fellowship for old graduate Where sit Step 3

Step 3 test taking strategies, test preparation materials and centers

Fellowship for old graduate Where sit Step 3

Postby kampietr » Sun Feb 26, 2012 6:33 am

Dear Anatoly,

I would like to ask you for advice in my unusual situation.I’m assisting professor of surgery with PhD and on-going clinical practice in Poland. I was offered 1-year specialty visiting fellowship in US with information that to get H1B Visa for this purpose I need to pass Step 3 of USMLE. (I'd like to avoid J1). I hold ECFMG certificate dated Feb 1999. I’m wonder which state should I indicate on Step 3 application not to be rejected due to extension of the Time limit?
According to the requirement table http://www.fsmb.org/usmle_requirementschart.html
Delaware and Virginia are stets with NO time limit to complete three steps of USMLE. Although I found the post viewtopic.php?f=5&t=2508
on this blog by the guy who was rejected in DE in pretty similar situation.
I would appreciate your advice in my "complicated case" :)
With best regards and gratefulness for all the service you are doing for IMG comunity. It's a amizing !
KAmil
kampietr@hotmail.com
PS
Looking trough other posts on the forum I found that a lot of IMG sit Connecticut for Step 3 although “requirements chart” says that there is 7-years time limit. Is it a time limit to take Step 3 or rather obtain the unlimited license in this state? Would Connecticut be a good state to indicate on Step3 application in my case?
kampietr

Re: Fellowship for old graduate Where sit Step 3

Postby anatolyk » Sun Feb 26, 2012 11:13 am

I think all you need is a state that does not require 1 year of post graduate training. As for the 7-year limit, I do not think any state imposes specific order. If you want to get icensed in this state, you will have to re-take Step 1 and 2, but again, I do not think order matters.

The DE case was rejected due to old ECFMG certification that had no Step 1 and Step 2. I think this doc had an old FLEX test. Have you passed Step 1 and 2?
anatolyk

Postby kampietr » Sun Feb 26, 2012 3:58 pm

Dear Anatoly

Thank you for your prompt replay. I passed Step 1, Step 2 and TOEFL to obtain ECFMG Certifficate in 1999.
That time there wasn't any partition of Step 2 into CK and CS.
Although, I still have some doubts about time limit to complete all three Steps of USMLE.
On state speciffic requirement chart for Step 3 (see link below) heading of the the fourth column is "Time Limit"
http://www.fsmb.org/usmle_requirementschart.html
In majority of the states (including IMG's favourite CT) it is 7 years and in some extended to 10 years for MD/PhD individuals.
I want to avoid stupid way of loosing 750$ application fee to find out that I am not eligible for Step 3 due to "time limit infringement" :shock:
I wonder if you know/heard about anybody in similar situation to my one.
With best regards and gratefulness
kamil
kampietr

Postby anatolyk » Thu Mar 01, 2012 4:02 pm

This is not exactly how I inter[pret the time limit, but your best bet will be to call FSMB and ask:
Phone: (817) 868 - 4041
anatolyk

IMG Residency Match 2013 Service

Return to USMLE Step 3