Follow ImgResidency on Twitter
Subscribe to the Match TODO newsletter. Reminders for important dates and events throughout the match process.
Site Sponsors:
www.ResidencyPlace.com - Customized Program Requirements
www.IMGResidency.com - IMG Match and Scramble Services

Step 3 question/match 2007 advice from bansal or anayltok..

Step 3 test taking strategies, test preparation materials and centers

Step 3 question/match 2007 advice from bansal or anayltok..

Postby Guest » Fri Jun 23, 2006 8:38 pm

Hello gentleman:

My friend/classmate at our graduation this past weekend at radio city music hall posed a match 2007 question to me. He shared w/ me that he has taken Step 1- 4x w/ pass on 4th attempt (201/82), step 2- 2x w/a pass on 2nd attempt (188/77) and passed step 2CS 1st attempt this past january. His question to me was if he should take step 3 and obviously pass 1st attempt w/ high score by end of summer/perhaps mid sept. to beef up his application?? He has both USA & UK clinical experience, Says he has excellent UK LOR's, published 6 research articles(5-US, 1-UK) & got a 3.85 in his clinicals w/ a 2.7 overall GPA. He says he had a tough 2 years in basic science w/ poor test testing skills, as evident by his usmle attempts...Pretty good memory on my part I might say!! He is a former elementary teacher (6 YRs) & His wife is a 2nd year peds here in NY.. He asked me what he should do in terms of strenghthening his application?? I wanted to confer w/ you gentleman as you always give very sound/honest advice!!

I told him he should prepare for step 3 ( June, July & august w/ test in sept.), if unable to attain Post,Post match residency. He should look for observership/externships in the NY area to continue his clinical experience. He is a USA citizen and an overall GREAT guy wanting to go into peds. He could have given up, but he has stayed the course and in my eyes has succeeded by not giving up and perservering!! If you can tell me if my advice was sound and if you can add to it, I would be grateful as I would pass on any additional advice from you guys!!!

He knows his USMLE attempts are HURTING him, but I told him to remain positive and if he crushes step 3 w/ observership time, he should at least get some interviews in the NY area in Peds!!! I believe that a test does not make a good doctor and I told him this during graduation.

Sorry for the long winded post, but this gentleman is a GREAT guy and I want to see him succeed!!!

Thank you in advance for any feedback and again, I am sure everyone here would like to Thank you bothy for your time and efforts in answering so many posts!!!!

Cheers, Doc Todd :lol:

Postby Guest » Wed Jun 28, 2006 5:11 am

I am going to assume that since I did not get a response from bansal or anatylok that my advice to my classmate/friend was sound and "Spot ON"!!

Cheers, Doc Todd

Postby anatolyk » Wed Jun 28, 2006 12:18 pm

Sorry, I missed this one. Yes, you are right on the spot.
anatolyk

Postby Guest » Wed Jun 28, 2006 2:37 pm

Thanks anatylok, I appreciate your reply and will tell my friend that should be his plan!! You are very helpful to so many on this board!! Thanks!!!

Cheers, DocTodd

IMG Residency Match 2013 Service

Return to USMLE Step 3