Follow ImgResidency on Twitter
Subscribe to the Match TODO newsletter. Reminders for important dates and events throughout the match process.
Site Sponsors:
www.ResidencyPlace.com - Customized Program Requirements
www.IMGResidency.com - IMG Match and Scramble Services

Chances of getting a good residency spot?

Residency Match, ECFMG, ERAS, NRMP.
Applications, interviews, residency programs, match strategies and post match scramble.

Chances of getting a good residency spot?

Postby heleethakar » Wed Aug 27, 2014 12:44 am

I don't know if it is okay to ask this question here, but I need some help with residency applications. I am an applicant from India who graduated in 2012. People who I know, have scored better than me and they discouraged me from applying to any competitive programs on the basis of my scores.
My scores are:
Step 2 CS: Pass, first attempt, 2012
Step 1: 207, first attempt, 2013
Step 2 CK: 222, second attempt, 2014

I have 2 months of hands-on clinical experience (clerkships) in Pediatric-related fields (I wanted specialties related to Internal-medicine, but they weren't accepting IMG's for those when I had applied) and 1 month observership in Internal Medicine with a total of four LORs from doctors in the US. I also have three LORs from faculty and doctors in India and a work experience in Neurology, Internal Medicine and Pediatrics after my graduation. Apart from these my school performances are good and my MSPE is good as well.

I wish to apply to programs in Internal Medicine or Pediatrics. Am I eligible to apply for these residencies? What do you think will help me?

Thank you for your time.
heleethakar

Re: Chances of getting a good residency spot?

Postby Julia IMG Residency » Fri Sep 05, 2014 6:35 pm

Your application looks good enough to apply to the programs in Internal Medicine and Pediatrics this year. You are a fresh graduate with just not so high scores and multiple attempts; your hands-on clinical experience and LORs from US Doctors would support your application, and if you do not need for US visa I would estimate your chances as rather high for the match.

In order to increase your chances of getting more interviews this year you may think of passing USMLE Step 3, trying to reach good score; research experience could be useful as well.

For the application season I suggest to select the programs carefully focusing on those where you qualify for.
Julia IMG Residency

IMG Residency Match 2013 Service

Return to Residency Match: ECFMG, ERAS, NRMP