Follow ImgResidency on Twitter
Subscribe to the Match TODO newsletter. Reminders for important dates and events throughout the match process.
Site Sponsors:
www.ResidencyPlace.com - Customized Program Requirements
www.IMGResidency.com - IMG Match and Scramble Services

do i have to have the ecfmg certification to match?

Residency Match, ECFMG, ERAS, NRMP.
Applications, interviews, residency programs, match strategies and post match scramble.

do i have to have the ecfmg certification to match?

Postby yoyochi046 » Sun Jun 08, 2014 3:45 am

hi, i have some questions about matching, and i was hoping someone would answer this for me.
i'm graduating this july, and moving back to usa. i'm a citizen,so i won't need a visa.
i'm supposed to take step1 next week, and i think i'm about to fail the test with a near score, hopefully i can pass,fingers crossed. if i do fail, i decided to take the test when i get back to the usa, and take it again with ck around september. will i still be able to match this year? when is the deadline?
if i can't match, what kind of program can i enroll? my family wont be happy for me to take a gap year almost as long as 2 years, so...
i know my questions sound stupid, it's just i cant really discuss this with my friends or classmates, they wont be taking usmle, and it's hard doing this with limited resources.
yoyochi046

Re: do i have to have the ecfmg certification to match?

Postby Julia IMG Residency » Thu Jul 24, 2014 8:13 am

Not sure about your plans for this year, but taking Step 2 CK in September is still OK in terms of timing.Interview season lasts till late December, some interviews are given as late as end of January. So you will be still eligible for match.

What is more important is your application, the way it looks for Program Directors. You want to apply having good chances for residency, so I would suggest to apply with Step 1 and Step 2 passed, even late in the season.
Programs could simply skipped your ERAS application if the status is incomplete.

While applying to the programs in November with strong application and high scores could bring you some late interviews as a result. In December due to many American Graduates interview cancellations there is usually a second wave of interviews noticed. Hopefully you will be able to dive into this wave
Julia IMG Residency

Return to Residency Match: ECFMG, ERAS, NRMP