Follow ImgResidency on Twitter
Subscribe to the Match TODO newsletter. Reminders for important dates and events throughout the match process.
Site Sponsors:
www.ResidencyPlace.com - Customized Program Requirements
www.IMGResidency.com - IMG Match and Scramble Services

"OLD" IMG grad 1995. any chances? give up?

Residency Match, ECFMG, ERAS, NRMP.
Applications, interviews, residency programs, match strategies and post match scramble.

"OLD" IMG grad 1995. any chances? give up?

Postby clg » Fri Jan 03, 2014 2:57 pm

Hi, here is my situation
MD 1995
Ophthalmology residency 2001
moved to US in 2005. Work in clinical research ophthalmology since 2005.
step 1 192/78 2007 second attempt
step 2ck 196/80 2009 first attempt
step 2cs pass 2009
step 3 191 pass 2013
us citizen 2013
good LOR's but only from ophthalmologists
not many publications
applied to Ophthalmology (10 programs), FM, IM and Pathology (50 programs)
Number of interviews: 0
I have applied for the past 4 years with no interviews.
Am I too old? should I give up?
clg

Re: "OLD" IMG grad 1995. any chances? give up?

Postby Julia IMG Residency » Mon Jan 06, 2014 12:18 pm

Your residency application has certain strengths, such as U.S. citizenship (recent), step 3 passed, extensive U.S. research experience in Ophthalmology.
However you have very serious weaknesses that hold you back:
- OLD USMLE results; average USMLE scores; old year of Graduation, lack of direct primary care clinical experience and LORs that would support your FM/IM application.

You have to be realistic about the chances in Ophthalmology. This is no IMG land. The most realistic scenario for getting into Ophthalmology residency through is establishing connections in the field, if possible. Talk to your colleagues at the research. Maybe they are able to help you. One of your strategic mistakes is overestimating your chances in Ophthalmology and applying to too few programs in FM and IM.

I would suggest you to switch the focus to primary care and IMG friendly specialties, such as FM, IM, Pediatrics, Psychiatry. First of all you need to improve your residency application. Here are the steps to consider:
1) Get U.S. clinical experience and therefore LORs in one/few of these specialties.
2) Consider getting U.S. Master’s Degree to refresh your Year of Graduation, i.e. M.P.H.
3) Try retaking USMLE exams. Your Step 1 score will over 7 years old in 2014.

When ready, select the programs wisely and apply to at least 60-70 programs in each specialty.
Best of luck to you!
Julia IMG Residency

Postby jojsmith01 » Thu Oct 29, 2015 6:44 am

I also suggest to improve your pathology residency application! I think, Julia IMG Residency has given nice suggestions.
jojsmith01

Postby lissettetm » Fri Oct 30, 2015 7:18 am

Did you find a spot in any program? I can give you my recommendations m. I am in a residency program and my situation is similar than your.
lissettetm

Postby farah3 » Mon Nov 16, 2015 1:50 pm

I am also an old graduate like you , moved to usa last year.i am in Houston tx. I am already an rdms for the last 10 years. I have decided to take my steps and apply for residency program concentrating on dermatology. can somebody please guide me.
farah3

Return to Residency Match: ECFMG, ERAS, NRMP