Follow ImgResidency on Twitter
Subscribe to the Match TODO newsletter. Reminders for important dates and events throughout the match process.
Site Sponsors:
www.ResidencyPlace.com - Customized Program Requirements
www.IMGResidency.com - IMG Match and Scramble Services

After Residency

Residency Match, ECFMG, ERAS, NRMP.
Applications, interviews, residency programs, match strategies and post match scramble.

After Residency

Postby tony4fngrs » Sat Mar 16, 2013 5:41 pm

I just have a question, out of curiosity I will start a medical residency in sweden, In orthopedics, is it recognized in the states? The intention is to make a fellowship in the us but I dont know if its possible and you will get paid. Thanks.
tony4fngrs

Re: After Residency

Postby Julia IMG Residency » Mon Apr 08, 2013 9:13 am

International Residency Training is not an equivalent to U.S. residency and therefore is not recognized as a post graduate education. In order to get into U.S. fellowship program first of all you have to pass USMLE Step 1, 2CK, and 2CS. This is a requirement for any state medical license including institutional one. Then you need to go to the residency training in the U.S. After that you apply for the fellowship. That's the most usual scenario.

While it is possible to obtain a fellowship without a U.S. residency, this is a very rare case. This may work only through being well known in the field and personally helped by hospital leadership.
Julia IMG Residency

IMG Residency Match 2013 Service

Return to Residency Match: ECFMG, ERAS, NRMP