Follow ImgResidency on Twitter
Subscribe to the Match TODO newsletter. Reminders for important dates and events throughout the match process.
Site Sponsors:
www.ResidencyPlace.com - Customized Program Requirements
www.IMGResidency.com - IMG Match and Scramble Services

Due process after nonrenewal of contract

Residency Match, ECFMG, ERAS, NRMP.
Applications, interviews, residency programs, match strategies and post match scramble.

Due process after nonrenewal of contract

Postby ohio » Mon Feb 18, 2013 5:57 pm

Hi Anatolyk,

Can you please let us know that whether any attorney or lawyer is there in "due process"? Not from resident side but from Program side.
ohio

Re: Due process after nonrenewal of contract

Postby anatolyk » Mon Feb 25, 2013 4:21 pm

Can you please share some additional context, so that I can try to better help?

GME department usually has the due process formalized. It may or may not include an attorney, depending on stage and risk factors.
anatolyk

Postby ohio » Wed Feb 27, 2013 9:19 am

After being on probation (which I still wonder about), my contract will be not renewed to progress in PGY III Psych. I need your help.
ohio

Postby anatolyk » Wed Feb 27, 2013 1:12 pm

Your best bet is to make sure you do not burn the bridges. In any scenario, you will need support from your current program for years to come whether you stay, find another place, or apply for a medical license after you graduate. You need to calmly analyze the situation, make sure you fully understand who and what is driving from the program side. Next step would be to see if you can convince the program that you will be able to address deficiencies in the nearest future. If not, you need an exit plan that hurts you the least, so that you can still get ok LORs to find a position in another program.
anatolyk

Postby ohio » Wed Feb 27, 2013 4:51 pm

I greatly appreciate your input. I believe that completing PGY II is good strategy rather than resigning early, what would you say?
ohio

Postby anatolyk » Mon Mar 04, 2013 10:38 am

If you can find a mid-year position to switch, this would be an even better option. Once marked for termination, you are under radar. You have to come to an agreement with program leadership on your stay and resignation at the end of academic year to minimize a chance of being terminated.
anatolyk

Postby ohio » Mon Mar 04, 2013 12:32 pm

Thanks for this suggestion. Now Should I sign the letter of nonrenewal contract and Submit back to PD soon?
ohio

Postby anatolyk » Mon Mar 04, 2013 8:18 pm

Yes, you will need to sign it if there is no option to reconcile with your program.
anatolyk

Postby ohio » Fri Mar 22, 2013 1:57 pm

Now I got interview from other program to advance my residency since that program has open spot. What should be my demeanor during interview to explain that. Your input will surely valuable Anatolyk.
ohio

Postby anatolyk » Fri Mar 22, 2013 3:16 pm

A few key things would be:
1. Be well prepared to answer all sorts of questions about your old program and the reasons it didnt work out for you
2. Make sure your story is reasonable and wxplains what was the root cause of the problem, what have you done to mitigatea and how can the new program be sure this won't happen at their place
3. Whatever it was, don't badmouth your old program, try to sound objective and fair
anatolyk

Return to Residency Match: ECFMG, ERAS, NRMP