Follow ImgResidency on Twitter
Subscribe to the Match TODO newsletter. Reminders for important dates and events throughout the match process.
Site Sponsors:
www.ResidencyPlace.com - Customized Program Requirements
www.IMGResidency.com - IMG Match and Scramble Services

multiple specialties ,one institution

Residency Match, ECFMG, ERAS, NRMP.
Applications, interviews, residency programs, match strategies and post match scramble.

multiple specialties ,one institution

Postby ahmadabouleila » Sat Jul 30, 2011 5:26 pm

Hi guys,

I am partcipating this year in the match....

I want to apply for anesthesiology,IM,and and maybe emergency medicine

is it Ok to apply to apply at same institution for different specialties?any troubles doing this

Which is more competitive Anesthesiology or Emeregncy medicine?keep in mind I am IMG ,al ready finished my residency training in anesthesiology

is it easier to get position in Prelim IM or Catageroical IM?

looking forward to hear from you..

Thank you alot
ahmadabouleila

Re: multiple specialties ,one institution

Postby anatolyk » Tue Aug 09, 2011 12:18 pm

It is ok to apply for multiple specialties within the same hospital. Programs do not and legally cannot communicate applican information between each other. Besides, each program receives close to 2,000 applications.

The only exception is different tracks within same program. Seach for preliminary vs. categorical application in this forum. The point is to select only one.

Both AN and EM are very competitive.

Preliminary IM is mostly for applicants who apply for advanced specialty, like Anesthesiology and need preliminary PGY-1. In my opinion, prelim is tgougher to get if you do not have exceptional profile and PS that demonstrates your ability to get advanced position and sustantiate the need for preliminary year.
anatolyk

Re: multiple specialties ,one institution

Postby mandy » Sun Jun 10, 2012 8:56 am

I agree with Anatolik. My friend applied for Prelim IM and didn't get the position even though she did have exceptional profile and PS.
mandy

IMG Residency Match 2013 Service

Return to Residency Match: ECFMG, ERAS, NRMP