Follow ImgResidency on Twitter
Subscribe to the Match TODO newsletter. Reminders for important dates and events throughout the match process.
Site Sponsors:
www.ResidencyPlace.com - Customized Program Requirements
www.IMGResidency.com - IMG Match and Scramble Services

so many questions, so little time! anatolyk, HELP!

Residency Match, ECFMG, ERAS, NRMP.
Applications, interviews, residency programs, match strategies and post match scramble.

so many questions, so little time! anatolyk, HELP!

Postby ultraphony » Mon Sep 10, 2007 5:57 pm

Hey everyone,

I'm a freshly graduate FMG, i have 8wks USCE, usmle's scores in 90s,passed CS, got LoRs a couple from american attendatns, and one in derms (at med school), have no publications or research experience, looking to match this year.

What I'm aiming for on top of the list is : Dermatology, I'd kill to get that (would be putting it nicely!lol), so do you have any info on any of the following :

1- Fmg friendly derm programs (if any exists, even with the slightest chance).

2- What about int.med/dermatology combined, or ped./dermatology combined programs ? are those any good or worth sending to ?

3- I noticed in FREIDA that most derm programs required a PGY-1 before applying to derm, like in int.med or ped. or family p, or transitional yr. well, do u know if that applies to pathology too?
(ie. say i match into pathology this year, and try to switch next year's?)
is it applicable, or possible ?

4- Is it possible i match into "int. medicine" in general this year, then try to switch into derms the year that follows ?

5- What about programs NOT participating in ERAS, are those worth contacting for residency (derms, or int.med/derm) ?

6- Do u know of any dermatology research opportunity ?

7- WHAT IS "Transitional Year" ? and is it any good to get into derms later? and is it any easy for FMGs ?

8- I will be honest and say, I love clinic work, but I can't stand in patient treatment, and my energy gets drained pretty quickly in on-call nightshifts..etc. I do love internal medicine/peds, but that's the major reason why i'm drifting away from it (as lame as it may sounds), are all programs in internal medicine in the states have pretty much the same strict tiring rules with regards 'on-call' & killing social our life...etc.

I'm sorry for any uncontrolable flight of ideas in this post, but i'm sure most of you are aware how hectic this period is...

Please respond to this post, i need every bit of help at this time.

Thanking you in anticipation.

Cheerz
ultraphony

Postby ultraphony » Wed Sep 12, 2007 10:44 am

guys...please help!!!!!!please !
ultraphony

Postby anatolyk » Sat Sep 15, 2007 10:18 am

Really, too many questions in one shot. You will hae even more after my answer.

1- Fmg friendly derm programs (if any exists, even with the slightest chance).

No, they do not exist. There are IMGs in depm here and there, but this is an exception.

2- What about int.med/dermatology combined, or ped./dermatology combined programs ? are those any good or worth sending to ?

Same thing.

3- I noticed in FREIDA that most derm programs required a PGY-1 before applying to derm, like in int.med or ped. or family p, or transitional yr. well, do u know if that applies to pathology too?
(ie. say i match into pathology this year, and try to switch next year's?)
is it applicable, or possible ?

Pathology does not require PGY-1. Pathology PGY-1 does not satisfy derm requirements.

4- Is it possible i match into "int. medicine" in general this year, then try to switch into derms the year that follows ?

You can give it a shot, but the chances are slim. Plus you will face a serious challenge. You will have to sign a contract for the next year BEFORE the match. At this point you don't know yet if you will be matching in Derm. If you sign and Match, you can be held liable. If you do not sign and do not match, you loose what you have.

5- What about programs NOT participating in ERAS, are those worth contacting for residency (derms, or int.med/derm) ?

These are very "special" programs and there is a reason for them not participating in ERAS. A ood example would be military programs that get residents med students who signed their contracts with the army in exchange for paying their tuition. They just get sent to these programs. In other words, these prgs do not take outsiders.

6- Do u know of any dermatology research opportunity ?

I don't

7- WHAT IS "Transitional Year" ? and is it any good to get into derms later? and is it any easy for FMGs ?

See my other post

8- I will be honest and say, I love clinic work, but I can't stand in patient treatment, and my energy gets drained pretty quickly in on-call nightshifts..etc. I do love internal medicine/peds, but that's the major reason why i'm drifting away from it (as lame as it may sounds), are all programs in internal medicine in the states have pretty much the same strict tiring rules with regards 'on-call' & killing social our life...etc.

You can consider an outpatient specialty, like FM and specialize in derm after graduation
anatolyk

Re: so many questions, so little time! anatolyk, HELP!

Postby tediraquju » Sat Sep 22, 2018 7:27 am

It has been uploaded for the happiness of the 14 individuals. The use of the visitors of https://www.australian-writings.org/ is expanded for the fragile and all such issues for the humans in life.
tediraquju

Return to Residency Match: ECFMG, ERAS, NRMP