Follow ImgResidency on Twitter
Subscribe to the Match TODO newsletter. Reminders for important dates and events throughout the match process.
Site Sponsors:
www.ResidencyPlace.com - Customized Program Requirements
www.IMGResidency.com - IMG Match and Scramble Services

discrimination.

This topic is dedicated to sharing personal experiences about unsuccessful residency, non renewed contracts, evil PDs and upper levels, etc. Posting your story you help others not to make the same mistake. This topic is anonymous, your identity is protected.

discrimination.

Postby unknown » Mon Jul 18, 2005 6:41 pm

i also have a bad experience to share. I am a mother of a young family. I moved from one state to another settled in the state were i was to start my residency in the mean time i started looking around for a new home and to finally settle down and start my career as a doc and live my dream life. unfortunately i never new what was lying ahead of me. i was calling up my parents to give them the good news. i was celebrating with my husband and my 1yr old daughter and 2yr old son. The struggle to find a residency was all over. I thanked God and I was soo excited I didnt care how many hours I was going to work I was just thankful that I had finally made it and hard work pays off. Unfortunately 1 week after i started my residency I was called by my PD who wanted me to resign just 1 week after my residency I could not believe it. My husband was out there tellng everyone proudly that his wife is a doc at so and so hospital. I was crushed. The reason was that a senior was pissed off because I did not answer her pager and she went and told the pd that i did not know anything and my knowledge was equal to a 1st year us medical graduate. i didnt know what to say. So I asked for more time for improvement. The bloody hospital gave none of us any orientation to the hospital and yes I was a fmg and I do admit that I had no prior experience and he knew that too. But I continued to work hard ignoring all the negative comments i was receiving from my PD i just did not want to loose my job. He had residents following me to see what I was doing. He just didnt want me in his program. He told me this was not discrimination but he would remind me over again and again that how was i coping with all this pressure with my husband and 2 kids at home. He was emotionally tearing me apart but I am not a quitter. I held my head up high but I knew by this time I was the most famous person in the whole hospital. Everyone was giving there own opioion about me. So finally I was put on probation. I was not allowed to answer any pager , not allowed to do admissions, not allowed to write any orders as I was a threat to humanity. He was now playing the game of incompetency. He was playing me all along. He told me that some professor was coming to teach me. When I met this Dr. he seemed like a reasonable guy. He told me that He was there to Obseve me and check my clinical skills and clinical judgement. He gave me a positive review. So the PD decided to call someone else who also gave me a positive review. So the PD decided to take a test of my Medical knowledge and made me sit for an exam. Then finally he took a bedside test on patients in the hospital. He was sitting there nick picking that I forgot to ask the patiet this Q . He was looking so ridicous sitting there making negative remarks. I was then sent back to my usual routine finally nobody spying on me and watching my every step. It was like living hell. I just had a ray of hope that maybe the program director just might change his mind if he sees how good i was doing. I was doing pretty good in my rotation after the probation period was over. I was getting good remarks from the Dr who I was working with but the day finally came the pd called me in his office and said IM SORRY WE WILL HAVE TO LET YOU GO. This all happened in 5 months. And he ofered me some volunteer experience if I wanted to come and then I would have a better chance to match next year. Guess what I took the offer. When he saw me come in he was furious and he said to me dont expect me to offer you a position just because you are appearing here. But I still continued to come until the residents ganged against me and told me they were embarassed to see me here. I just couldnt take it any longer. I told the pd that i could not afford to pay the babysitter any longer so i couldnt come any longer so he asked me to say the exact words to everyone. Before leaving I asked for a LOR you can expect what he wrote. He was a man with a big reputition and he wanted to be the good prestigus Dr.... He wrote in his LOR if i was in another program I would have succeeded. The same pd who was soo sweet at my interview had schedule me dinner and hotel reservations turned out to be a posionous snake. I still have his fank marks on my arm. He spoke to another pd who intervieed me in postmatch but guess what he gave me a negative review. So here I am standing alone. looking for a job ..........with no experience.
unknown

Re: discrimination.

Postby jennyouyang1 » Fri Jul 29, 2005 9:23 pm

I never expected the world is so terrible. I am scared. I also have two kids, one 5 and one 2. You are so strong and can go throgh this without losing your stregth. Keep doing and I am sure you will meet some nice persons and find a good position.

I am planing to apply this year match. Could you please tell me which hospital you had been? I definitely will not apply that hospital.
Could you please send me email
jennyouyang@yahoo.com

quote="unknown"]i also have a bad experience to share. I am a mother of a young family. I moved from one state to another settled in the state were i was to start my residency in the mean time i started looking around for a new home and to finally settle down and start my career as a doc and live my dream life. unfortunately i never new what was lying ahead of me. i was calling up my parents to give them the good news. i was celebrating with my husband and my 1yr old daughter and 2yr old son. The struggle to find a residency was all over. I thanked God and I was soo excited I didnt care how many hours I was going to work I was just thankful that I had finally made it and hard work pays off. Unfortunately 1 week after i started my residency I was called by my PD who wanted me to resign just 1 week after my residency I could not believe it. My husband was out there tellng everyone proudly that his wife is a doc at so and so hospital. I was crushed. The reason was that a senior was pissed off because I did not answer her pager and she went and told the pd that i did not know anything and my knowledge was equal to a 1st year us medical graduate. i didnt know what to say. So I asked for more time for improvement. The bloody hospital gave none of us any orientation to the hospital and yes I was a fmg and I do admit that I had no prior experience and he knew that too. But I continued to work hard ignoring all the negative comments i was receiving from my PD i just did not want to loose my job. He had residents following me to see what I was doing. He just didnt want me in his program. He told me this was not discrimination but he would remind me over again and again that how was i coping with all this pressure with my husband and 2 kids at home. He was emotionally tearing me apart but I am not a quitter. I held my head up high but I knew by this time I was the most famous person in the whole hospital. Everyone was giving there own opioion about me. So finally I was put on probation. I was not allowed to answer any pager , not allowed to do admissions, not allowed to write any orders as I was a threat to humanity. He was now playing the game of incompetency. He was playing me all along. He told me that some professor was coming to teach me. When I met this Dr. he seemed like a reasonable guy. He told me that He was there to Obseve me and check my clinical skills and clinical judgement. He gave me a positive review. So the PD decided to call someone else who also gave me a positive review. So the PD decided to take a test of my Medical knowledge and made me sit for an exam. Then finally he took a bedside test on patients in the hospital. He was sitting there nick picking that I forgot to ask the patiet this Q . He was looking so ridicous sitting there making negative remarks. I was then sent back to my usual routine finally nobody spying on me and watching my every step. It was like living hell. I just had a ray of hope that maybe the program director just might change his mind if he sees how good i was doing. I was doing pretty good in my rotation after the probation period was over. I was getting good remarks from the Dr who I was working with but the day finally came the pd called me in his office and said IM SORRY WE WILL HAVE TO LET YOU GO. This all happened in 5 months. And he ofered me some volunteer experience if I wanted to come and then I would have a better chance to match next year. Guess what I took the offer. When he saw me come in he was furious and he said to me dont expect me to offer you a position just because you are appearing here. But I still continued to come until the residents ganged against me and told me they were embarassed to see me here. I just couldnt take it any longer. I told the pd that i could not afford to pay the babysitter any longer so i couldnt come any longer so he asked me to say the exact words to everyone. Before leaving I asked for a LOR you can expect what he wrote. He was a man with a big reputition and he wanted to be the good prestigus Dr.... He wrote in his LOR if i was in another program I would have succeeded. The same pd who was soo sweet at my interview had schedule me dinner and hotel reservations turned out to be a posionous snake. I still have his fank marks on my arm. He spoke to another pd who intervieed me in postmatch but guess what he gave me a negative review. So here I am standing alone. looking for a job ..........with no experience.[/quote]
jennyouyang1

please tell program

Postby unknown » Fri Aug 12, 2005 12:57 pm

please tellme the program . so that i should not apply there. e mail me at dr_singh246@yahoo.com
unknown

can i learn which hospitalis this?

Postby guest » Tue Sep 06, 2005 9:40 am

I am so scared now! that i gave up everything in my home and came here to become an MD again. Your story..and that PD !!?? he is insane! :x Please do not lose your hope, there are still nice people out there, and honesty wins! we are planning to move to any state according to my match, and my husband will give up his job for me.I do not want to destroy his career.can you mail me which hospital ? hopeful_img@yahoo.com.

can you tell?

Postby guest » Tue Sep 06, 2005 9:47 am

hopeful_img yahoo.com

Postby Guest » Wed Sep 07, 2005 5:25 pm

This is really frustrating, just cant digest .how are u managing , are u trying this year.Maintain ur spirit. email me program name and state

dgainedi@yahoo.com

Good luck

You are so determined

Postby img2005 » Sat Oct 08, 2005 2:38 pm

Hi,
I can`t express how i feel for you and definitely U are so determined,even then he did not realize,it is his loss__ahhhh.I also have a family,willing to move to any state at the expence of my husband`s job,it is so scary and wud not like to apply there.
Kindly would u please tell me program .fdtk2003@yahoo.com
img2005

dont loose spirits

Postby mkk » Sat Oct 15, 2005 12:55 pm

dont loose spirits. can u mail me the program so that I will not apply.My mail id is inavolu@gmail.com
mkk

Nit2481

Postby guest » Tue Oct 18, 2005 2:06 pm

hi keep trying God will definitely help you in ur Endeavour.I'm too a FMG father of twin girls(1 year old).can u plz mail me the name of the hospital and state so that i don't apply there as my whole's family depend on my earnings.will be grateful to you.please mail at "nit2481@yahoo.com"
thanks a lot and pls don't lose hope

Re: can i learn which hospitalis this?

Postby aks68 » Fri Oct 28, 2005 12:09 pm

guest wrote:I am so scared now! that i gave up everything in my home and came here to become an MD again. Your story..and that PD !!?? he is insane! :x Please do not lose your hope, there are still nice people out there, and honesty wins! we are planning to move to any state according to my match, and my husband will give up his job for me.I do not want to destroy his career.can you mail me which hospital ? hopeful_img@yahoo.com.
aks68

I am shocked!!

Postby swav06 » Tue Nov 08, 2005 9:20 am

I am shocked after reading ur story , but be determined and u will surely do well . I am a mother of a 21 month old baby applying for residency , plz let me know the name of the hospital so I will not consider it under any circumstances .
Thanks.
swav06

I am shocked!!

Postby swav06 » Tue Nov 08, 2005 9:21 am

my email Id is drvrishali@hotmail.com
swav06

Re: discrimination.

Postby Guest » Tue Nov 08, 2005 1:36 pm

Hello,
You are indeed very brave. Hats off to you. Please can you mail me the program where you had been. My email is taim_p@rediffmail.com.
Thank You and Best of Luck. I am sure you will find something better.
unknown wrote:i also have a bad experience to share. I am a mother of a young family. I moved from one state to another settled in the state were i was to start my residency in the mean time i started looking around for a new home and to finally settle down and start my career as a doc and live my dream life. unfortunately i never new what was lying ahead of me. i was calling up my parents to give them the good news. i was celebrating with my husband and my 1yr old daughter and 2yr old son. The struggle to find a residency was all over. I thanked God and I was soo excited I didnt care how many hours I was going to work I was just thankful that I had finally made it and hard work pays off. Unfortunately 1 week after i started my residency I was called by my PD who wanted me to resign just 1 week after my residency I could not believe it. My husband was out there tellng everyone proudly that his wife is a doc at so and so hospital. I was crushed. The reason was that a senior was pissed off because I did not answer her pager and she went and told the pd that i did not know anything and my knowledge was equal to a 1st year us medical graduate. i didnt know what to say. So I asked for more time for improvement. The bloody hospital gave none of us any orientation to the hospital and yes I was a fmg and I do admit that I had no prior experience and he knew that too. But I continued to work hard ignoring all the negative comments i was receiving from my PD i just did not want to loose my job. He had residents following me to see what I was doing. He just didnt want me in his program. He told me this was not discrimination but he would remind me over again and again that how was i coping with all this pressure with my husband and 2 kids at home. He was emotionally tearing me apart but I am not a quitter. I held my head up high but I knew by this time I was the most famous person in the whole hospital. Everyone was giving there own opioion about me. So finally I was put on probation. I was not allowed to answer any pager , not allowed to do admissions, not allowed to write any orders as I was a threat to humanity. He was now playing the game of incompetency. He was playing me all along. He told me that some professor was coming to teach me. When I met this Dr. he seemed like a reasonable guy. He told me that He was there to Obseve me and check my clinical skills and clinical judgement. He gave me a positive review. So the PD decided to call someone else who also gave me a positive review. So the PD decided to take a test of my Medical knowledge and made me sit for an exam. Then finally he took a bedside test on patients in the hospital. He was sitting there nick picking that I forgot to ask the patiet this Q . He was looking so ridicous sitting there making negative remarks. I was then sent back to my usual routine finally nobody spying on me and watching my every step. It was like living hell. I just had a ray of hope that maybe the program director just might change his mind if he sees how good i was doing. I was doing pretty good in my rotation after the probation period was over. I was getting good remarks from the Dr who I was working with but the day finally came the pd called me in his office and said IM SORRY WE WILL HAVE TO LET YOU GO. This all happened in 5 months. And he ofered me some volunteer experience if I wanted to come and then I would have a better chance to match next year. Guess what I took the offer. When he saw me come in he was furious and he said to me dont expect me to offer you a position just because you are appearing here. But I still continued to come until the residents ganged against me and told me they were embarassed to see me here. I just couldnt take it any longer. I told the pd that i could not afford to pay the babysitter any longer so i couldnt come any longer so he asked me to say the exact words to everyone. Before leaving I asked for a LOR you can expect what he wrote. He was a man with a big reputition and he wanted to be the good prestigus Dr.... He wrote in his LOR if i was in another program I would have succeeded. The same pd who was soo sweet at my interview had schedule me dinner and hotel reservations turned out to be a posionous snake. I still have his fank marks on my arm. He spoke to another pd who intervieed me in postmatch but guess what he gave me a negative review. So here I am standing alone. looking for a job ..........with no experience.

Postby Homes » Wed Nov 16, 2005 4:46 pm

You are a strong woman. Please continue the same way. I have no doubt you will make it. Your PD will burn in hell. I actually would suit him and may be the University too for hiring a such jerk. Plz send me the name of the program. billdavid@excite.com. Sorry, my email is billdavid3@excite.com
Homes

Your story

Postby Dia » Fri Nov 18, 2005 9:15 am

Hi there,
Your story is really very painful.Every cloud has a silver lining.I am sure something good will come out of this all.Beleive me, hang on and you will get there.You could mail me the program and PD's name at dashira4@yahoo.com.
I'll ensure none of the people I know apply there and spread the word.
God be with you.
Dia.
Dia

Next

Return to Share your "bad" story