Follow ImgResidency on Twitter
Subscribe to the Match TODO newsletter. Reminders for important dates and events throughout the match process.
Site Sponsors:
www.ResidencyPlace.com - Customized Program Requirements
www.IMGResidency.com - IMG Match and Scramble Services

asked to resign after 3 weeks in fp pgy-2

This topic is dedicated to sharing personal experiences about unsuccessful residency, non renewed contracts, evil PDs and upper levels, etc. Posting your story you help others not to make the same mistake. This topic is anonymous, your identity is protected.

asked to resign after 3 weeks in fp pgy-2

Postby unlucky » Thu Aug 13, 2009 7:57 pm

hi all,

I joined in AMG program as a second year and trying to get know the system and missed a page one night since I dont know how to increase the volume at that time,that is my second call.Seniors wrote all lies and misinterpretations ,like I was taking N no. of hrs for taking admissions ,inspite of me explaining her what is going on in the room of the pt and why could nt take the admission. They made me write all my pages and time ,from where and what I did etc on my next call.They typed an action plan about this and made me sign this.My NEXT CALL all my concentration was to note down the details of my pages in addition to admissions, discharges, consults and calls from wards etc. That night(it was a weekend call by the way,where I have to do the job of other residents,who took off the weekend) i got a call from nurse saying that one pt's relative cardiac index elevated. But PT asymptomatic and cardiac enzymes were normal, ekg and cardiac monitor normal.So I didn't call my senior but mentioned in the morning rounds to the attending, just in case.He said it is not significant with normal cardiac enzymes.But MY SENIOR WROTE IT AS CARDIAC ENZYMES ELEVATED IN PT ADMITTED WITH CHEST PAIN R/O MI.she asked me to put a consult which doesn't exist on a weekend.I told her about it.but still she wrote that I didn't put in consult.etc. Added to these issues, attending started c/o , I was slow in clinic, since I am new to system.He said, he need to attend dinner conference and go home and sleep. AL though I improved over the next week. people came to a conclusion ,that I am slow for a pgy-2,and they don't need an intern and they don,t have enough resources to train me according to their needs.PD asked me to resign or she will terminate me.i went to the dean/DIO asked about the further process,and PD said I can ONLY GO to the due process only after my termination and even if I win,they( SENIORS) have so many negative feelings against me and prejudices against me,that they don,t change their opinion, inspite of my hardwork and improvement.So i consulted an attorney, who said less chances of winning,since the review committee believes what ever the faculty members say.So i resigned
against my wish,and think ABOUT WHAT MISTAKE DID i DO and this happened to me?.I am planning to apply again this september but SHOULD I put this in my resume or not, what explanation should I give. Does any one who has undergone this had got residency later?
IS THERE ANY SOLUTION FOR THIS KIND OF HARRASEMENT ? How to stop this?
unlucky

Re: asked to resign after 3 weeks in fp pgy-2

Postby anatolyk » Fri Aug 14, 2009 2:23 pm

Sorry to hear that. Unfortunately this happens quite often and you shouldn not be to harsh to yourself. Having resigned is a better option than termination.

You must mention prior training when applying again. You have to have a good contact with your old PD because now every program that might want to consider you will be seeking his feedback. So, make sure your side of the story plays well with his.

You have no other option but staying positive in your application. Do not try to badmouth your old program, this will only create a negative impression. Try to demonstrate that you understand what the problem was and that you have eliminated the problem, so at the new place you will most likely succeed.

Good luck!
anatolyk

Postby aruna » Thu Mar 25, 2010 12:14 pm

Samething happened to me while i am in PGY-1 in internal medicine (2009) dont know what to do .Do i have to mention when i am applying next time .Please reply
aruna

Postby anatolyk » Sun Mar 28, 2010 1:47 pm

You have to mention all your residencies. This will come up sooner or later.
anatolyk

Postby hello13 » Sun Jun 20, 2010 11:54 am

contact me please ,i have a question

unlucky wrote:hi all,

I joined in AMG program as a second year and trying to get know the system and missed a page one night since I dont know how to increase the volume at that time,that is my second call.Seniors wrote all lies and misinterpretations ,like I was taking N no. of hrs for taking admissions ,inspite of me explaining her what is going on in the room of the pt and why could nt take the admission. They made me write all my pages and time ,from where and what I did etc on my next call.They typed an action plan about this and made me sign this.My NEXT CALL all my concentration was to note down the details of my pages in addition to admissions, discharges, consults and calls from wards etc. That night(it was a weekend call by the way,where I have to do the job of other residents,who took off the weekend) i got a call from nurse saying that one pt's relative cardiac index elevated. But PT asymptomatic and cardiac enzymes were normal, ekg and cardiac monitor normal.So I didn't call my senior but mentioned in the morning rounds to the attending, just in case.He said it is not significant with normal cardiac enzymes.But MY SENIOR WROTE IT AS CARDIAC ENZYMES ELEVATED IN PT ADMITTED WITH CHEST PAIN R/O MI.she asked me to put a consult which doesn't exist on a weekend.I told her about it.but still she wrote that I didn't put in consult.etc. Added to these issues, attending started c/o , I was slow in clinic, since I am new to system.He said, he need to attend dinner conference and go home and sleep. AL though I improved over the next week. people came to a conclusion ,that I am slow for a pgy-2,and they don't need an intern and they don,t have enough resources to train me according to their needs.PD asked me to resign or she will terminate me.i went to the dean/DIO asked about the further process,and PD said I can ONLY GO to the due process only after my termination and even if I win,they( SENIORS) have so many negative feelings against me and prejudices against me,that they don,t change their opinion, inspite of my hardwork and improvement.So i consulted an attorney, who said less chances of winning,since the review committee believes what ever the faculty members say.So i resigned
against my wish,and think ABOUT WHAT MISTAKE DID i DO and this happened to me?.I am planning to apply again this september but SHOULD I put this in my resume or not, what explanation should I give. Does any one who has undergone this had got residency later?
IS THERE ANY SOLUTION FOR THIS KIND OF HARRASEMENT ? How to stop this?
hello13

Postby october » Sat Feb 19, 2011 2:30 am

october

Return to Share your "bad" story