Follow ImgResidency on Twitter
Subscribe to the Match TODO newsletter. Reminders for important dates and events throughout the match process.
Site Sponsors:
www.ResidencyPlace.com - Customized Program Requirements
www.IMGResidency.com - IMG Match and Scramble Services

Fired after first month

This topic is dedicated to sharing personal experiences about unsuccessful residency, non renewed contracts, evil PDs and upper levels, etc. Posting your story you help others not to make the same mistake. This topic is anonymous, your identity is protected.

Fired after first month

Postby anatolyk » Wed Sep 07, 2005 9:27 pm

I am not the one who got fired.

But I want everybody to know that surviving a residency for an IMG as a challenge. I estimate that about 5-10% of IMGs in IM and FM do not complete first year, or complete it with no credit. The sad part is that noone is willing to share the story.

Here are the cases I am aware of. "Fired" here translates in was given a choice to resign in lieu of termination.

1. FM, Fired after completing 1.5 rotations
2. FM Put on probation after 1st rotation
3. IM fired after first 6 months
4. FM almost fired after 8 months. SUrvived the 1st year and got partial credit after finding PGY-2 at another program
5. SUR fired after 5 months.

The list goes on. Unfortunately it isn't that uncommon...
anatolyk

reason

Postby dimps » Thu Sep 08, 2005 6:46 pm

Hi

friends , please share ur experiences . we have to learn how to fight these situations . whats the reason imgs get fired. we passed all the damn exams they required , so whats wrong .

Be stong
dimps

Re: Fired after first month

Postby nasim » Fri Sep 09, 2005 7:49 pm

I am fired after 2 month doing FM ,It is time to reapply again? Will I mension in eras application that I did 2 month? Please help.
nasim

To mention or not to mention

Postby anatolyk » Fri Sep 09, 2005 8:52 pm

Nasim,

It would be nice if you post your story here just to help others realize what CAN happen.

You MUST mention your past residency in your CAF. I know a few stories when a resident in a situation like yours starts a new residency and gets fired again because he did not mention previous residency experience.

Firstly of all I think one should be honest under any circumstances.

Secondly, it will come out after one or two pay-cycles when Medicare figures out that they have been paying for your training for two months in the past.

Good luck to you!
anatolyk

Re: To mention or not to mention

Postby nasim » Fri Sep 09, 2005 9:14 pm

My residency was terminated due to failing 3 course.These are ALSO ,Neonatal and ATLS. I was so fool and I didn't study. They didn't gave me any probition. This is my bad luck, Anyone please advice me how can i approach this situation when I will apply again. I am really scared that if I mension this in eras cv and if I don't get any interview, my life will be end up here. Actually I don't know how medicare related with pay check. I will definately tell the truth.If anyone has any advice ,please shair.
nasim

Failing ALSO

Postby anatolyk » Sat Sep 10, 2005 10:19 pm

It really sounds weird. From my experience people who failed one of the tests were given another chance at the same day. Pass rate is always 100%.

As for what to do, there is no way to give you an advise without knowing your situation in details.
anatolyk

will I mension in CAF

Postby kabir » Sun Sep 18, 2005 5:09 pm

I did 1 month residency in a program and got fired. Do I need to mension this 1 month in CAF during eras application? Please reply.
kabir

Fired after one month

Postby anatolyk » Sun Sep 18, 2005 5:45 pm

You absolutely do have to mention that.

Would you please tell your story, what exactly went wrong.
anatolyk

Re: Fired after one month

Postby kabir » Mon Sep 19, 2005 9:00 am

I did 1 month internship. Where should I write it? There is a page for residency or fellowship but no place for internship. It is a very short time thats why I woundering to know do I need to mension?
kabir

Internship/Residency

Postby anatolyk » Mon Sep 19, 2005 11:17 am

I am confused.

Did you get fired from a residency program during the intern year (internship)?

Or was it somewhere else and it wasn't an internship at the residency program?
anatolyk

Re: Internship/Residency

Postby kabir » Mon Sep 19, 2005 11:27 am

It was in residency program in USA and 1st month of internship. Thats why I am wondering that do I need to mension this 1 month. Appraciate your help.
kabir

Where to write it

Postby anatolyk » Mon Sep 19, 2005 11:47 am

Then it belongs to Residencies/Fellowships section in the CAF.
anatolyk

was given the right to resign

Postby ts » Wed Nov 30, 2005 12:17 am

fired after 5 ms of GS prelim. Ground - not sufficient knowledge and condescending attitude.... something not to do

worked hard and too many hours - was tired and irritated - did not argue realy just was not showing readiness to take more just get the job done - a few accidents not major though led to bad evals and then a snowball like stuff - bum in two weeks fired

advice - be very very low profile - do not interfere with attendings, if asked to jump get ready and reply where to

question - how to address this issue on future interviews ? any advice ?
ts

Termination question

Postby Guest » Tue Oct 28, 2008 7:48 am

Hey, guys!
My bad story I was terminated after 9 months in my FP program.
I'd like to know if any of terminated residents filed any suits agains program and were there successful. My PD signed my second year contract and 3 days later he fired me.
Any inputs???

Re: about getting fired

Postby belladona » Mon Dec 01, 2008 5:15 pm

What exactly happens after you get fired in your intern year. is there any chance of keeping your residency spot? what are the options?
belladona

IMG Residency Match 2013 Service
Next

Return to Share your "bad" story