Follow ImgResidency on Twitter
Subscribe to the Match TODO newsletter. Reminders for important dates and events throughout the match process.
Site Sponsors:
www.ResidencyPlace.com - Customized Program Requirements
www.IMGResidency.com - IMG Match and Scramble Services

research vs. observership?

Observership, Externship, Research opportunities. United States Clinical Experience.

research vs. observership?

Postby skobl_78 » Sun Jan 05, 2014 3:43 am

so, I am an IMG that has no USCE at all ... due to the circumstances that I will be graduated next march , I can no longer seek a clinical elective .. but I can try to get into an observership or a research position for 1-3 months ... the question I have is which is more appealing in your resume if you tried to match for a residency in the US later? which is more useful considering two factors: being USCE and getting LORs?
also I have another question ... in a different scenario if someone specialized, who've already attended a residency in his home country, managed to attend a fellowship in the US, and wanted to try to compete for the same specialty in the US and to get a residency there, will the fellowship he'd attended be considered as a USCE or not?
TY in advance
skobl_78

Re: research vs. observership?

Postby Julia IMG Residency » Fri Jan 10, 2014 12:32 pm

Ideally you want to have various clinical experience that would result in supportive LORs. Both research and observership experience would improve your residency application. Some programs will get attracted by the research if your work is in the area the program is focusing on. Other programs have a requirement of having U.S. experience, so your observership would be very important. It depends. Choose the experience that would target your specialty better!

U.S fellowship experience is very valuable for your residency application. Yes, in most cases it is considered as U.S. C.E.

Best of luck to you!
Julia IMG Residency

Re: research vs. observership?

Postby ClinicalCoordin » Mon Jun 30, 2014 12:18 pm

Chicago Clinical Program at the Advanced Ambulatory Surgery Center is offering a quality clerkship program for 3rd and 4 year medical students. We have rotations in General Surgery, Orthopedics, Ambulatory Surgery and Internal Medicine. Our program is affordable. Each rotation is 4-8 weeks long. We offer free housing!
Check us out at
chicagoclinicalprogram.com
ClinicalCoordin

Return to USCE Observerships/Externships/Research US Clinical Experience