Follow ImgResidency on Twitter
Subscribe to the Match TODO newsletter. Reminders for important dates and events throughout the match process.
Site Sponsors:
www.ResidencyPlace.com - Customized Program Requirements
www.IMGResidency.com - IMG Match and Scramble Services

Observership/Research

Observership, Externship, Research opportunities. United States Clinical Experience.

Observership/Research

Postby dr.jantonio » Mon Feb 18, 2013 10:01 pm

Hello,

I've recently graduated from medical school in Mexico, my plan is to become a resident in the US. I'm looking for an observership/externship anywhere in the US for experience purposes and this is my first experience as an IMG. Can anyone help me?

PS. I've not taken the USMLE steps, heve them scheduled

THX
dr.jantonio

Re: Observership/Research

Postby Julia IMG Residency » Mon Feb 25, 2013 4:37 pm

It would greatly boost the chances for your residency application to have some clinical experience in the U.S. So you are on a right track!
The following post should help you with finding an externship:
viewtopic.php?t=323

A formal in-patient externship is more difficult to get than actual residency. However, you can easily get outpatient externship in a private practice by simply calling the practices. You can go to http://www.webmd.com and search for primary care doctors in the area where you live or plan to live. You can make a good guess about the origin of a doctor by his/her name. Doctors originating from the same country as you are most likely IMGs as well and know exactly what kind of a situation you’re in. 90% of them will be sympathetic. 10% will agree to have you as an extern.
Julia IMG Residency

IMG Residency Match 2013 Service

Return to USCE Observerships/Externships/Research US Clinical Experience