Follow ImgResidency on Twitter
Subscribe to the Match TODO newsletter. Reminders for important dates and events throughout the match process.
Site Sponsors:
www.ResidencyPlace.com - Customized Program Requirements
www.IMGResidency.com - IMG Match and Scramble Services

Which is better, clinical obervership or research volunteer?

Observership, Externship, Research opportunities. United States Clinical Experience.

Which is better, clinical obervership or research volunteer?

Postby khushi83 » Wed Mar 21, 2012 1:45 am

Hello,
Can anyone please tell me which is better clinical obervership or volunteering in research program? I am planning to join a research program as a volunteer? Will it be helpful for USCE when we apply residency? As an IMG, i have no idea much for what residency programs really expect from us. Thank you very much.
khushi83

Re: Which is better, clinical obervership or research volunt

Postby anatolyk » Mon Mar 26, 2012 11:25 pm

Anything clinical is better than research, if you are asking what's going to carry more weight when your residency application is reviewed.
anatolyk

Re: Which is better, clinical obervership or research volunt

Postby sonali » Thu Nov 08, 2012 5:04 pm

khushi83 wrote:Hello,
Can anyone please tell me which is better clinical obervership or volunteering in research program? I am planning to join a research program as a volunteer? Will it be helpful for USCE when we apply residency? As an IMG, i have no idea much for what residency programs really expect from us. Thank you very much.

What you basically need to do is a two step process: 1. What is it that will allow you to stay in the United States for a prolonged period of time 2. What are the conditions that exist for a clinical Observership.
If the employer/institution is willing to sponsor your J-1 or H-1B for Research then that would be ideal.
Clinical Observership - is a very far fetched possibility. You need to clear Step 3 and become board eligible to get CLINICAL EXPOSURE
My Bet is - don't waste time, go for R E S E A R C H.
sonali

Return to USCE Observerships/Externships/Research US Clinical Experience