Follow ImgResidency on Twitter
Subscribe to the Match TODO newsletter. Reminders for important dates and events throughout the match process.
Site Sponsors:
www.ResidencyPlace.com - Customized Program Requirements
www.IMGResidency.com - IMG Match and Scramble Services

does a PhD in Radiology help?

Observership, Externship, Research opportunities. United States Clinical Experience.

does a PhD in Radiology help?

Postby fiem5422 » Sun Nov 13, 2011 6:44 pm

Hi all, I'm an IMG doing my research master's in Radiology while preparing for USMLE side by side. My prof suggested that I could switch to a combined Master's/PhD program, but that would mean an additional 2 years to the current 2 year duration. I just want to know whether it is worth the time? I'm in South Korea btw, in one of the top 3 univs here. Or is it better if I just complete my master's and search for a research position in the US? Guys please help me out! Thanks in advance.
fiem5422

Re: does a PhD in Radiology help?

Postby anatolyk » Tue Nov 15, 2011 11:30 am

It really depends what secialty you are going to apply. It will definitely be a big plus for getting into Radiology. But... it is very difficult to get radiology for an IMG.

There is a potential for phd in radiology being looked at as a negative by other specialties. It may be a sign that their specialty is not your first choice.
anatolyk

Postby fiem5422 » Sat Nov 19, 2011 9:14 pm

Hi anatolyk, thanks a lot for your reply. My choices are Radio or Nuclear med. Yes I know it's insanely difficult for an IMG to get matched into Radio, but I'm going to try. That's why I got into the master's program anyway. My dilemmas are:
- whether to change to a combined master's/PhD or finish my master's and do a MPH in the US. I'll have chances to publish more papers if I do my PhD here, more possibilities to publish some abstracts to RSNA.
- will MPH in the US be considered as USCE?
- even if I do PhD, will I still have to do some sort of research in a US university?
Also, I'm a 2008 Oct grad, so will these compensate for my date of graduation?
Thanks again for your reply.
fiem5422

Postby anatolyk » Thu Nov 24, 2011 1:12 pm

I don't think there is a simple answer to any of the questions you raised. My feling is that if you wish to put all your stakes at Radiology, the plan makes sense. However, I would suggest to have a back up plan for balanced perspective. You can also look at a path of getting into IM and looking for Radiology from within the system.
anatolyk

Return to USCE Observerships/Externships/Research US Clinical Experience