Follow ImgResidency on Twitter
Subscribe to the Match TODO newsletter. Reminders for important dates and events throughout the match process.
Site Sponsors:
www.ResidencyPlace.com - Customized Program Requirements
www.IMGResidency.com - IMG Match and Scramble Services

USCE and LORs?

Observership, Externship, Research opportunities. United States Clinical Experience.

USCE and LORs?

Postby annieArbor » Fri Nov 04, 2011 12:39 pm

Hi
I just joined the forum n i'm badly in need of some advice.
I want to do a clerkship but after lookin thru different college/hospital websites i've realized that most places ask for a step 1 score to apply (I'm currently waiting for my score.) and the places that don't need a score have a pretty big fee (around $2000 per month) which i cant afford now especially coz i wanna save money to apply widely for the Match next year. I plan to finish all my steps, USCE and ECFMG certification before Sept 2012 so i'll be in Match 2013- hopefully.

What I wanted to know specifically is :
1. Once i graduate from med school i can no longer apply for clerkships right?
But i can apply for observerships and externships- can i get LORs from these and will they benefit me? (As i understand observerships are not of much value when compared to clerkships/electives.)
2. Can i do observership at a private practice/clinic and can i get LORs from there and again, will they help?
3. Is it true that an LOR from a US physician of the same country of origin as I am is not valid? (I've read this in some other forums)
4. People say ANY USCE in any specialty is better than no USCE at all- but don't we need LORs (at least 3?) from physicians of the SAME specialty as the one we're tryin to Match to?
5. What exactly is a Sub internship and an Acting internship?
6. How early would i have to complete any USCE in order to get my LORs in time before Sept? I don't have much of an idea of what happens after i ask for an LOR n how long it may take- do they upload it directly to ERAS??
7. At what point of time during the Match (before calling for interviews or after) do they look at ur med school performance and how important is it in comparison to ur Step scores? I'm askin coz i was barely an average student during med school n i want to know how significant it is during the Match.

Sorry for the long post!! I really did try to make it easy to read :)

I'd REALLY appreciate any help or advice!!!
Thanks!
annieArbor

Re: USCE and LORs?

Postby annieArbor » Sat Nov 05, 2011 11:20 pm

Anybody?? Please?
annieArbor

Postby anatolyk » Mon Nov 07, 2011 3:49 pm

Very bries - clerkships are only available for medical students.
Any LOR is valid, however out of country LORs are not given much consideration.
Allow for a month before you receive an LOR after completing your clerkship.
anatolyk

Postby ThaisFM » Sun Mar 16, 2014 3:57 pm

I was also wondering what is the difference between a Sub internship and an Acting internship... And between a Clerkship and a Clinical Elective.
I am a medical student current in my 4th year and am looking into my options. Thank you in advance, any help is greatly appreciated!
ThaisFM

Postby ClinicalCoordin » Mon Jun 30, 2014 11:57 am

Chicago Clinical Program at the Advanced Ambulatory Surgery Center is offering a quality clerkship program for 3rd and 4 year medical students. We have rotations in General Surgery, Orthopedics, Ambulatory Surgery and Internal Medicine. Our program is affordable. Each rotation is 4-8 weeks long. We offer free housing!
Check us out at
chicagoclinicalprogram.com
ClinicalCoordin

IMG Residency Match 2013 Service

Return to USCE Observerships/Externships/Research US Clinical Experience