Follow ImgResidency on Twitter
Subscribe to the Match TODO newsletter. Reminders for important dates and events throughout the match process.
Site Sponsors:
www.ResidencyPlace.com - Customized Program Requirements
www.IMGResidency.com - IMG Match and Scramble Services

Post Match Scramble How To

Scramble experience, suggestions, strategies

Post Match Scramble How To

Postby anatolyk » Tue Jan 25, 2005 6:48 pm

My Experience.

Last year I have been helping a friend of mine during the post match days. I think that we learned a couple of things that could be beneficial for others.
Time is of essence. Repeat after me 10 times: Time is of essence! J Most of the post match positions get filled by 3PM the post match day!

The game plan:

1. Have the following equipment available: two or better three phone lines, cell phones will do; fax machine; computer with high speed internet connection; a couple of friends who will help you to call the programs; frozen lunches or a friend ready to bring some from the nearest McDonalds
2. Get the unmatched programs list
3. Call, e-mail and Fax your application as fast as you can, so you are ahead of others

How does it really work:
1. Monday from about 9AM CST every future resident in the country is trying to log on to the NRMP. Needless to add – most of them unsuccessfully. The closer it gets to 11AM, the less chances one has to get there. The NRMP web site just cannot handle the load. That’s where having a fast internet connection, more than one computer and a couple of friends trying to log on, pays off big time.
2. After logging on you still are three clicks away from downloading a list of unmatched programs. Each click you will have to repeat from 10 to 100 times because everybody else is doing that. What you will see is a “Site is unavailable” page after some timeout. My advice – do not give up and start over, use browser “Refresh” to get thru.
3. After getting the list you have to filter out the information you need: speciality and geographic location. Now you need to compile a list of phone numbers, e-mails and faxes of the programs you want to apply to.
4. You log on to ERAS and apply to up to 30 programs you are interested the most.
5. One of your helpers faxes your application to ALL programs in ALL specialties you consider. I recommend using some fax service like jblast.jfax.com/ . You can pre-load your documents in advance. The most important thing – they have lots of phone lines and fax machine trying to deliver your faxes simultaneously. Their service is $.06 per page and it’s worth it!
6. Another helper of yours e-mails your application to the same places.
7. You and all other available people call the programs.
8. You get a spot if everything went OK!

When I tried to time all the things that had to be done in the first couple of hours, I realized that there is no way a human being can do that.
It isn’t a big deal to do that manually, but again time is of essence! Try to estimate how much time do you need just to send 30 faxes 10 pages each. Take into account busy signals because everybody else is trying to do the same and you will end up with about 3 hours.

I strongly suggest you get some help. It does not matter wether you use ours or not.

I wish you all the best of luck!
Last edited by anatolyk on Tue Jan 31, 2006 11:27 am, edited 2 times in total.
anatolyk

I concur

Postby PGY1 » Wed Jan 26, 2005 6:31 pm

Been there. Every word is true.
PGY1

Question about the 10 pages to be faxed??

Postby sgudoc » Tue Jan 31, 2006 3:58 pm

Hello Anatolyk; Questions about the postmatch scramble.

Do we send our eras materials @ noon on 3/14/06 via ERAS post office or do we create our own mini applications and fax?
Do we download our ERAS application first or do we call the programs first that have not matched.
Do we call PD's, the residency coordinators or the peds residency office secretary before faxing or ERASing materials?

Sorry for all the questions, just trying to get a sequential game plan in case I have to scramble and want to be fully prepared for noon on 13/14/06. If you could provide a brief initial order of steps for noon on 3/14/06, it would be GREATLY appreciated.

Cheers, DocTodd
sgudoc

Scramble questions

Postby anatolyk » Tue Jan 31, 2006 6:48 pm

Do we send our eras materials @ noon on 3/14/06
via ERAS post office or do we create our own mini
applications and fax? aaa

You should be doing both. The only reason why you should supplement your ERAS application with one of your own is ERAS limit on number of applications. You can only submit 30 in total via ERAS. After that you cannot submit a single one even if you are willing to pay.

Do we download our ERAS application first or do we call the programs first that have not matched.

First you get a list of unfilled programs. Then according to NRMP you should call the programs and ask what way would they prefer the application. Unfortunately it does not work this way. When you call the program you get busy signal most of the times. So, you may get through one program in 5-10 minutes. Therefore you can apply only to 5-10 programs in the first hour, which is the most crucial. This may be enough if you are an American Graduate, but not for IMG.

Do we call PD's, the residency coordinators or the peds residency office secretary before faxing or ERASing materials?

I think the one above answers this question.

As with any opinion you are the final authority on deciding how to handle things.

Good luck!
anatolyk

Post scramble

Postby sgudoc » Wed Feb 01, 2006 8:37 am

Thank you for your speedy and informative response!!!!!

Cheers, DocTodd :D
sgudoc

confused

Postby guest » Thu Feb 02, 2006 12:25 pm

so should we call the programs before sending them our materials or call them after sending the materials? plz clarify .thanx

an IMG seeks information before getting registered here.

Postby step3guy » Thu Feb 02, 2006 6:27 pm

HI,

please tell me "Is there any chance of getting the emails blocked by filters applied by program director or their secretaries from "certain web sites" who try to send them the applicants data as bulk" ?

How do these web sites ensure whether their registered candidate's application has been opened and read by the Program ?

Does this website provide some documented clues/figures to its effectivenss in terms of helping IMGs getting into residencies during post match scramble in the last year (2005).

I will highly appreciate your response in this regards.
thanks.
step3guy

Some answers

Postby anatolyk » Sun Feb 05, 2006 8:38 pm

To guest: Yes you can call the programs before sending the materials. But guess how fast will you move if you want to get in touch with 100+ IM and 100+ FM programs during extremely busy scramble hours before you submit your application.

please tell me "Is there any chance of getting the emails blocked by filters applied by program director or their secretaries from "certain web sites" who try to send them the applicants data as bulk" ?

As a matter of fact a lot of e-mails will get blocked. But when you mention "certain web sites" I do not quite get the point. The e-mails are not coming from the web sites. You are going to send them, right?
Or are you talking about companies providing scramble services? Then please ask them directly. I can sure tell you a long technical story about what should be done to avoid having your messages blocked. The simplest one is to make sure you keep them small, within 1MB.

How do these web sites ensure whether their registered candidate's application has been opened and read by the Program ?

again, please direct this questions to the companies you are referring to.

Does this website provide some documented clues/figures to its effectivenss in terms of helping IMGs getting into residencies during post match scramble in the last year (2005).

Very good question, which again should be directed to the web sites you are referring to.
anatolyk

when to submit the documents? please verify.

Postby sm » Sat Feb 18, 2006 12:55 pm

Anatolyk: :?:
I checked the NRMP website, it shows that "location of all unfilled positions are released at 12:00 noon ( EST) on March 14,2006. unmatched applicants may begin contacting unfilled program at 12:00 noon (EST)." I also read the note My Experience: it said Monday from about 9 AM CST every future resident in the country is trying to log on to the NRMP. so my question are:
1. March 14th is Tuesday, not Monday. did you talk about the last year's?
2. Candidate could not contact the program until March 14th, 2006 at 12:00 EST, does this mean the documents will be sent in the afternoon?
if yes, generally from when to when? you are experienced, please answer? Thanks!
sm

Scramble day

Postby anatolyk » Sun Feb 19, 2006 10:29 pm

The original post is 3 years old now. I beleive it was modified once to match the next years's dates but no updates since then. That's why dates do not quite in line.

As for the "Candidates could not contact", you missed a very important word "Unmatched" candidates it is. One becomes unmatched only on the Match day and not earlier.
anatolyk

Scramble advice...

Postby srhein » Tue Feb 21, 2006 1:37 am

My questions about Post match Scramble are....

1. After faxing/emailing all the information to the programs, how will they get back to us? Phone or email? Will most programs only make contact if they are interested? In that case, should we keep calling until we talk to someone?

2. Does the unfilled list give current phone/fax numbers, or do we find them on the website?

Thanks!
srhein

Postby anatolyk » Tue Feb 21, 2006 6:55 pm

1. After faxing/emailing all the information to the programs, how will they get back to us? Phone or email? Will most programs only make contact if they are interested? In that case, should we keep calling until we talk to someone?

They will call you only if they are interested. You calling them is not going to make much of a difference

2. Does the unfilled list give current phone/fax numbers, or do we find them on the website?

Yes, there are e-mails, telephones and faxes
anatolyk

Post match scramble

Postby michael » Sat Jul 08, 2006 12:05 pm

DearAnatolyk,

I am an IMG and I have following question.

In post match scramble can I apply to any branch like psychiatry even if I have not applied in match through ERAS in that for first 30 programes?

And if I can than I should have my personal statement and LoRs ready for that?

Thanks.
michael

Postby anatolyk » Tue Jul 11, 2006 2:15 pm

Yes, you can apply to any specialty even if you have not applied for this specialty in the match.

You may have different versions of LORs and PSes ready for this case.
anatolyk

PGYII spot

Postby PsychRes » Thu Aug 31, 2006 10:32 pm

There is a new PGYII psychiatry position that just opened up in Dallas/Fort Worth, Texas at John Peter Smith Hospital. It is very FMG friendly. You can check the apa website:
http://www.psych.org/career_corner/care ... search.cfm
PsychRes

IMG Residency Match 2013 Service
Next

Return to Post Match Scramble